Thursday, November 09, 2006

Voting

As all of you know , it was voting day, yesterday. And yes we got out to vote. I have not always voted. At 18 I always felt to shy and not smart enough to vote. So, it wasn't until I was 35. For some reason , I for go the embarrassment of going into the school , that I was told to go to on my voting card. I would stand in a long line. with many people and over hear comments on how some saw life and how it should be ran. I just stood there , to shy to say anything, And since I knew people could be right down mean, I kept to myself. my opinion This first time I speak of ,was one of the presidential moments, It was from the many times my mother would encourage me. She had no idea how the fear grew when just by the thought of being around strangers made me sweat. I didn't know how to vote. Yeah, sure there were people there to help. I mean that is why they volunteer their time , help those that had no glue what , or how voting worked. But when you believe that you're not smart enough to work a little plastic pencil like thingy. to punch in your vote. you tend to avoid going. And the truth, I never paid that much attention who was running, there were times too that voting on new amendments seemed long and unbelievable winded. If I already didn't think I was smart. reading an amendment sure gave me confirmation I wasn't it took a lawyer to understand them . So , I just placed that little plastic pencil like thing over the first little hole and voted.I would learn that every election I would need to get out to vote. Not just for president but mayor and governor and voting on raising taxes , since now I was a home owner. I was going to make sure my voice was heard. I sure had grown since that shy young person first walked into that school. Now, I had moved away from what I was use to. I assumed that it was the same here in Tennessee as it was in Michigan when it came to voting. ( ONE SHOULD NEVER ASSUME!) We , my husband and I did get sign up for our voting card when we first moved here. but it told us nothing as to where we had to go. Was it in town, was it a school!!? We almost gave up and decided to for go voting. But I deep down did not want to do that. I knew who was running. And truth, anymore there isn't good choices, but I wasn't going to let somethings just pass by. there were admemdments that I wanted to vote on. It wasn't until the very last minute and from a call from a stranger that we would find out right where to go to vote. Yes, we live in Hickman county. but we live in cobble. An area that they name to section off since Hickman is so large . So, we cleaned up. Hopped into the truck and off we went. It was at this little country store , where we had to vote at. Walking into the store , the porch was made of wood , the floor of the store also wood. This store was old country , I loved the sound of it. and There were no lines. oh, there were people there to vote , two actually. But nothing what I was use too. And it seemed everyone knew someone who would walk in after us. The sweet older woman took our names told us what we needed to do. The only differences , was the voting machines. They would be my first very voting on such High tech! The volunteers made sure we understood how it worked and what we had to do once we were all done . It was nothing for me to feel my age! What happened to the paper ballet ????? I also have become more out spoken, it was nothing for me to open the door to this store and say hello! Just as if I knew everyone there. Time , Age and believing in yourself sure makes the difference. I wonder how many people out there , who believe they aren't smart enough to make a choice. to vote? There was one candidate here that , it was the way he talked through his nose that made him not get my vote. Now, when you think about it ,to judge a person on the way they talk ,through their nose , just doesn't seem fair. I just see him in front all those other Senators , talking and having to listen to him explain. I know it got on my nerve , All those TV adds! made me want to put a sock in it ! Well , I sure hope that some of you got out to vote , To teach your children the worth of their voice. no matter how little or how much it seems it doesn't get heard, Because I know for myself, If hadn't been for my mothers encouragement to vote. I would have never saw my first Paper ballet!

No comments: